Monday 20 January 2014

Monday Moanings - January 20, 2014

A Letter to my Seasonal Amour






Dear Old Man Winter,
I have been a big fan of yours since forever. I quicken to the first touch of your fresh breath each year and my heart warms in anticipation of your star crystals and icicles. I love the melt in your mouth taste of fresh snowflakes and the squeak of wintertide footsteps on super cool ground. And that polar vortex thingy ya got going this year? Well, that's got everybody talking, even the BBC!













I remember with delight the screaming joy of hurtling down snow packed slopes on my red "flying" saucer or
sometimes even the big old wooden toboggan with my Dad or sister on board for ballast.

And honestly nothing can top one of your bright, crisp snow sparkling days set underneath a sky so blue that it is beyond words. I love the cocoon you encourage me to burrow into when the weather outside is frightful; thick fleece and hot tea by a crackling fire, so warm, so safe and oh so very content.







Indeed I have loved you all my life, BUT here's the thing dear old, yet somehow ageless friend bounding with ceaseless energy, I am not six or sixteen or even six and forty any more. Though I still revel in the gifts you bring, at least at first, you must know that snow and ice now present a great threat to life and especially limb. Age has brought me a huge fear of bone breaking tumbles, occasioned by the meeting of a slower reaction time with a slippery slope. Also my old arthritic hands can never come to terms with your new-fangled  polar vortex. So, I think it's time for you to go. I still love you. I will still eagerly await your return, same time next year. Just remember to schedule your departure for January 20th, give or take a day - I am after all, flexible.





Have a great trip back south of the equator. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with your early arrival!
Hugs and kisses,
April

p.s. Our snow blower is busted and in the shop. BACK OFF!
p.p.s. The solar panels can't enjoy your brilliant sunshine. BACK OFF!



©2014 April Hoeller

1 comment: