Thursday 21 August 2014

Thursday, or Thereabouts - August 21, 2014

A Great Escape

Sometimes the best thing for me to do, the only thing that I can do to soothe the heartbreak, the turmoil of questions without answers that swirls in my head, the sense of utter helplessness that haunts my soul when world events turn frightful, horrific, and incomprehensible, is seek temporary refuge in images of beauty.

I'm not running away from duties and responsibilities for I have no active role to play in any of the conflicts, epidemics or natural disasters. I have no magic elixir with which to dose the combatants, the casualties, the bereaved. And a kiss will not make it all better.

I give what I can to the NGO's that take no sides but just do what they can to alleviate suffering. Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF) tops my list every time. A few mouse clicks and my donation is done. I feel good about that - for a moment, but then a great wave of helplessness sweeps all that comfort away, a tsunami triggered by conflict in Gaza, the Ukraine, Iraq, Syria, Ebola in Africa, landslides in Japan, and intolerance in Ferguson, Missouri. And that's just the front page of the news this morning. I dare not look any further.

So here I offer you my antidote to the poisonous horror in the news; here I share with you my great escape.
May you find a moment of rest, a sigh of contentment, a smile.










All of the above images were taken at the Royal Botanical Gardens in October of 2011.

©2014 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment