Thursday 23 April 2015

Thursday, or Thereabouts - April 23, 2015

Spring 2015- Trying and Very Trying

Yesterday on my drive into town I was drawn into the enchanting music of Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" Is there any more appropriate music for Earth Day? I don't think so. Bubbling joy, insistent hope, and awesome wonder seem to dance together.


Is there any more appropriate music for Spring in southern Ontario struggling to assert itself? Don't think so either. Tentative delight, sour setbacks and heartfelt desire move forward in a steadfast march, Spring chanting, "I think I can, I think I can..."










But it is a gift to be simple, as the old Shaker hymn reminds me:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right
                                   Joseph Brackett (1797 - 1882)



















And speaking of simple, I'm going to spend the rest of this day curled up by the fire, tea at my left and pen in my write hand while Spring tries once again to overcome winter.












©2015 April Hoeller



1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed the day as you had planned April. This hymn is beautiful- as are the photos. I love the crocus- it could very well be the emblem for the hymn. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete