Monday 14 September 2015

Monday Moanings - September 14, 2015

The day began badly...

A steaming cappuccino to my left, I began my day with a leisurely scroll through my Facebook® news feed. The second drag of the mouse wheel brought me to this little pearl of wisdom:

One day, you'll just be a memory to some people.
Do your best to be a good one.

How lovely - NOT! I got blindsided by the first statement. It dropped me into a bucket of dreck where I spun and sputtered and sprawled for much too long. You know, that "one day" is not as far away as it used to be!


A life review movie flashed across my mind in an uniquely unimpressive trailer that lasted all of 2 seconds. Panic wicked up the hairs on my neck - omg I'd better get out there and do something spectacular, sensational, significant; something memorable and above all good because time is running short and I haven't done anything meaningful ... not a single indelible accomplishment to my credit in all my 60+ years of life...







My gut curdled. My morning soured. I shrank from the day. I shrank from life. Oh woe is me!




Bur remember that steaming cappuccino? It was still there. Still hot. Still fragrant. Still fresh from my Love's hand. I took the warm cup in my hands, turned from my desk and headed out into the dappled sunshine of the deck. The cool morning raised a few goosebumps on my arms, but the air was fresh and clean and so wonderfully restorative. Perspective flowed back into my soul. Gratitude overcame self-doubt. Sunshine blasted away the darkness. And caffeine evicted the doldrums.




And outside my door, the day really looks like this:






And of course, my life is not a wasteland.
I cannot orchestrate what others will remember of my life on some distant day.
I can and will, do my best with each day I'm given.



©2015 April Hoeller


No comments:

Post a Comment