Monday 5 October 2015

Monday Moanings - October 5, 2015

Dithering


At the top of this week, I'm dithering; just rocking back and forth in my wagon. Ahead of me lies a week crammed to the gunnels with stuff to do, so much stuff that I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. I don't know what to do first and while I dither away, time flies away and so the needle on my angst meter crosses the red line. One of the things I've noticed since 'Going over 60' - I am easily overwhelmed when my ordinary week gets complicated with special events.




This week, in addition to the usual, there is a Thanksgiving Feast to prepare for the family celebration on Saturday. I know how to do this. I know the tasks - I've been doing Thanksgiving for ... well let's just say... a long time. And it is a joy, a cooking extravaganza that puts me in my favourite place in the house, my kitchen. I can handle this, for the most part, without red-lining.










BUT in just eight days my love and I set off on another adventure, this time to Japan. I know how to prepare for these treks. I know the tasks - I've been globetrotting for a while too. It's a joy, an extravaganza of anticipation and then discovery where the unexpected is often the greatest pleasure. It's also a lot of work - not just planning and packing but briefing the house sitters and getting in supplies for their stay.







AND tonight we're head to the city for the second time in 24 hours to see a play, Cracked: New Light on Dementia. I'm hoping to find some some touch stones for the memoir about my journey with my mother through Alzheimer's. While perhaps not a joy, this will be a discovery with maybe an intriguing turn to the unexpected.


Now put these three very special events, Thanksgiving and Travel and Theatre in the same week that has the usual two blog posts, gym and chores...

And yes, I do know the best way to 'eat the elephant' of tasks before me, is 'one bite at a time'. But I'm having trouble taking the first bite - where do I begin?

Well with a Monday Moaning of course!


It's now just past noon and time for me to kick off into the week.
Let the cooking begin!



©2015 April Hoeller


1 comment:

  1. Gosh! you sure have your hands full....I can only salute your spirit and your amazing ability to be so organised ..... Happy Thanksgiving Dinner cooking.

    ReplyDelete