Monday 30 November 2015

Monday Moanings - November 30, 2015

At the Bottom of Christmas Mountain, Again!


It may be the top of a new week, but from my wagon the ride ahead looks steep and long, and anything but even. I'm rocking back and forth way down at the bottom of Christmas mountain.


Kristen - 1988








A 25 day climb lies ahead and it zigzags through all kinds of hurdles: cookies to be baked, presents to be bought, decorations to be hauled out and put up, menu plans, food shopping and cleaning, lots and lots of cleaning.



The Christmas Magician in me is cringing just thinking about the number of feats of prestidigitation required to reach the top - pulling Yuletide out of my ordinary, everyday hat is no small thing. Good thing I have years of experience behind me to bolster my confidence. What I don't have on this Monday is the energy, but I do have a wagonload of apathy with which to begin the week.



Geoff - 1985








Why bother?
December 25 is just another day, isn't it?
It's just another family feast, isn't it?
It's just another holiday hijacked by the Big Box Stores, isn't it?










In the chilly early light of today my answer is a long whiny yes. But not to worry - this seasoned Wizard of Yule knows just how to turn that frown upside down. A little rest, some fragrant soothing tea with just a smackerel of something sweet, and lots and lots of great music can always coax even the most reluctant of Christmas spirits out of my woolly and tattered hat.

Catch up with you later - I'm off to find my wand. I bet it's in the kitchen...


If you yearn, as I do, for a moment of quiet along the mad dash to Christmas, a place away from all the hype and hurry, check out my daily Reflections for Advent 2015 blog. I post a little soothing something every day.


©2015 April Hoeller

1 comment:

  1. "A little rest, some fragrant soothing tea with just a smackerel of something sweet, and lots and lots of great music" is a prescription to tackle anything and fight any kind of fatigue, I think. Hope you found your magic wand:) Happy Christmasing April. xx

    ReplyDelete