Thursday 4 February 2016

Thursday, or Thereabouts - February 4, 2016

A February Pilgrim


Meandering, just meandering. Like a leaf, dappled in sunlight, on a gently flowing woodland stream, I've been going with the flow, occasionally diverting into intriguing byways and circulating in pools of calm.  No specific goal or destination; no plan or urgency, just Simon and Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song playing in my head.

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.

Ba da, Ba da, Ba da, Ba da...Feelin' Groovy.

Hello lamp-post,
What cha knowin'?
I've come to watch your flowers growin'.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' groovy.

I've got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you,
All is groovy.


It's lovely to just traipse through the days leading to the edge of Spring, to simply be a traveller through the land, a kind of February pilgrim, come wind, come weather. When I grow tired of feelin' groovey, I dance to Maddy Prior's rendering of the words of John Bunyan (1684).





Who would true valour see,
Let him come hither;
One here will constant be,
Come wind, come weather
There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent
To be a pilgrim.





I know some seeds of discontent will begin to stir even as I hum and dance through these days.
            There is so much that needs DOING.  
Long lists of  'coulds', 'should's' and 'ought's' beg for strike outs and check marks:


clear out closets: bedroom, den, hall x 2
clean out basement
redecorate living room: new flooring, painting, furniture, lighting
get stuff together for cruise
bathroom reno plans
attic clear out (comes after basement)
digitize slide photos (there are 20 years worth of these)
finish family cook book for kids

and more, 
                                            too 
                                                 much 
                                                      more.


So for now I'll continue on my way, kicking down the cobble stones, come wind, come weather.


©2016 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment