Monday 5 September 2016

Monday Moanings - Labour Day, September 5, 2016

A Harvest of Gratitude and Love

1975


Forty-one years ago today I was enjoying the last day of my life as a single woman, or as read in the banns of marriage, "a spinster of this parish."


All of 22 years old and already a spinster. Imagine that!


1970
The old church language would seem to have credited me with far more experience than I actually had.

I was still living at home in 1975 and like my older sister before me and my younger after me, I went directly from my parents' home to married life. In 1975 that's the way it was for many women. 












I never thought for a moment that I was missing out on an integral piece of life - making it on my own in the world. I was thrilled to be marrying my high school sweetheart, the love of my life. The wonderful world lay before us and we wanted to live it together.

We still do.
2015


















Forty-one years ago my boyfriend and I went out on our last date as singles. The midnight curfew was still in effect but I scared the bejeezus out my folks by returning home at ten.

The colour slowly drained from Mom's face and Dad walked toward me, arms outstretched, "Everything all right, dear?"

"Yup, everything is perfect.
And it still is.












Look how we've grown! July 18, 2015

So no moaning here today.

Today is a day of rest.
Today is a day of gratitude for the work and workers who keep this country functioning.
Today is a day of celebration of freedom:
                the freedom to choose our work,
                the freedom to choose our leisure,
                the freedom to write.

Today is a day of gentle anticipation of another year together with the love of my life.
We have places to go, things to do, together.

A harvest of delights lies ahead.
It's like New Year's Eve all over again, minus the hype and the carousing.






Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made:
Our times are in His hand
Who saith "A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!''
Robert Browning







©2016 April Hoeller

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Thia is such a sweet and heartwarming post. And your photo as a single 'spinster'is stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look too young to be married that long! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete