Monday 28 November 2016

Monday Moanings - November 28, 2016


And that's the way this Monday feels. Thin sticky fingers of a cold are attempting to invade my body. But worse than that, some kind of cyber virus has taken over the I-waves.


There was a time a few years ago, when the sales rant was a tad less virulent, that I happily indulged in the offers of Cyber Monday. I wrapped up Christmas gifts in just an hour or so of mouse clicks.

BUT this event has morphed into something of a global epidemic, due in no small part to its older sibling Black Friday. Together these two have crept into the days between and around the namesakes. Black Friday advertising began a week ago - and don't get me started about Black Friday's invasion of Canada! Cyber Monday adverts began on Thursday.

I don't want to see or hear another word about it. I am sick of it all. And NO, I'm not going to buy a single thing on the web today. I'm not even going to peruse the offers.


The day after all this madness has acquired the moniker of  Giving Tuesday. All the charities will be out in force trying to pick up any crumbs of coinage left after the spending frenzy. Good on them for trying to counter the retail onslaught. And YES I will be supporting my favourite charities - Medcins sans Frontieres, and my local hospitals.


Why is giving always in second place, or worse! behind getting?
I think we have it the wrong way round.
Giving Tuesday belongs BEFORE the hoopla of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

I don't suppose the idea will gain much traction...



©2016 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment