Monday 19 November 2018

Monday Moanings - November 19, 2018


The tetherball that hangs from the North Pole has begun to swing. Just a gentle sway back and forth right now, not enough energy to complete a full circuit. That won't last much longer!

The Jolly Old Elf made an appearance on the streets of Toronto yesterday at the annual parade in his honour. A quick glance over his parade schedule in the coming weeks is enough to make me swoon. And then there are all those mall sittings! Honestly, I never have figured out how he does it all year after year.


God knows I have enough trouble just doing Christmas at my house and as the years have marched by - well let's just say it's not getting any easier! The outdoor decorations though small in number are not up yet due to the early arrival of cold and snow. I've already started stressing about the baking schedule, though I did try a new trick this past weekend. I tempered and molded chocolate for an Advent Calendar. It worked! I just have to make a dozen more candies and it's done.



Time for a reality check.
          1. There are still THIRTEEN (13, XIII) days until the first Sunday of Advent, the day when according to family tradition, the outdoor lights can get their festive twinkle on at night and the indoor decorations begin to appear.

          2. There are only TWO plus a furry paws (2, II) of us living in this house and other than the Christmas Feast attended by only adults (I have it on good authority that next year will be different...), I don't do any seasonal entertaining. So just how many cookies are truly required? Answer: nothing that can't be accomplished in the three or four days of unhurried baking.

So there! I think I'll just sit a while longer rocking back and forth in my wagon. I'll make a few lists and check them twice. Yeah, right! Who am I kidding? I'll be checking them constantly because my vintage brain loses track of things!  Later in the week, when I'm feeling inspired, I'll restock the larder with baking ingredients and make the rest of those Advent calendar chocolates.

I will, of course, keep an eye on that Christmas tetherball, but this week I'm going to do more soothing than fretting. It's a good strategy for the entire season of merriment, but it is also best to begin with just one week at a time.




©2018 April Hoeller

4 comments:

  1. Now that's what you call a veteran Christmas Magician (you invented the title, not me). After so many years, you have mastered the timing. Ho! Ho! Ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. Always a delight to 'read' from you.
      Ho! Ho! Ho!

      Delete
  2. Well let me tell you adding small people and almost teen agers to the mix spices things up considerably! Lots of fun to be had and a flexible approach to any plans is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leueen, I can hardly wait for a little one to join the mix. It will be fun indeed. And more opportunities to practice flexibility.
      Cheers!

      Delete