Monday 26 November 2018

Monday Moanings - November 26, 2018

Some kind of virus has taken over every media platform, website, radio, and TV station.
It came in two waves:


Followed by:


There was a time a few years ago when the sales rant was a tad less virulent, the deals more real, and I was more tolerant. I happily indulged in the "not to be missed" offers. I wrapped up Christmas gifts in just an hour or so of mouse clicks.

BUT these events have morphed into something of a global epidemic, due in no small part to the older sibling Black Friday's girth. Together Black and Cyber have crept into the days between and around the namesakes. Black Friday advertising began a week ago - and don't get me started about Black Friday's invasion of Canada! Cyber Monday adverts began on Thursday.


I don't want to see or hear another word about it. I am sick of it all. My footfall has not echoed in any mall or big box store since over a week ago and I'm not going to buy a single thing on the web today. I'm not even wasting any time perusing the offers. I delete them as fast as they plink into my mailbox. And I'm not alone in my rising distaste for such overblown consumerism. Hashtags such as #NotOneDime and #BuyNothingDay have gained traction of late. There is hope...


The day after all the frenzied sales pitches has acquired the moniker of  Giving Tuesday. Charities will be out in force trying to pick up any crumbs of coinage left after the spending fury. Good on them for trying to counter the retail onslaught. And YES I will be supporting my favourite charities - Medecins sans Frontieres, my local hospital, and arts community.



But WHY let me ask, is giving always in third place after getting and more getting? It's wrong!
Giving Tuesday belongs BEFORE the hoopla of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

I don't suppose the idea will gain much traction...except in my house. It's a start.




©2018 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment