Monday 24 June 2019

Monday Moanings - June 24, 2019














While Spring's rehearsals for the solstice were dogged by no shows, missed cues, sour notes, and overall sloppiness, the weather symphony still somehow managed to pull off a magnificent summer overture this weekend. Brilliant sunshine, fabulous blue skies, warm (not hot) days with low humidity. Summer perfection! 










As a kid, I loved the summer... 

1971 - Mom hosting a summer party

Hot! Hot! Hot! 


So hot the tar bubbles up between the pebbles on the road; round, shiny black globs. I can smell the tar - acrid gasoline fumes rise up from the road surface. My flip flops stick haphazardly as I walk; sometimes a step is unhindered, other times the foam sole sticks then releases raising fine black strands of gooeyness. Round flat, black globs decorate the bottom of my favourite summer footwear. I scuff over to the lawn hoping the grass will wipe away the sticky tar. It's futile. Now I have flip-flops with green grass clippings stuck to them...


Happy days indeed! Wind in my face bike riding, 5¢ popsicles, 10¢ ice cream cones, Coppertone® suntan lotion (no sunscreen!), big circulating fans swirling in the windows (the only A/C back in the day), family bbq's and a backyard pool made summer an absolute delight.

1959 - our first pool:1ft deep x 10ft diameter; with my older sister and I (white bathing cap)

1960 - Pool#1 with my younger sister

We didn't have a heater so a pool freshly filled in June began at 16°C (or less!) and crawled its way to a blistering 23° by mid-August. Those were the days of Fahrenheit, so "Arthur" our pool thermometer actually registered 74. One banner year I recall 'Arthur' made it all the way to 78F. In the early part of the season, while Dad was at work, Mom and I added buckets of hot water to the pool. When Dad came home, he splashed his hand in the pool and announced, "It's warming up nicely!" Mom and I just smiled.

1971 - Mom in pool # 3: 4ft x 15ft

1972 - Dad hamming it up!


Those were the days...

1972 - Me on a summer Monday - moaning...


©2019 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment