Monday 1 July 2019

Monday NO Moanings - Canada Day July 1, 2019

It's Canada Day in this fair land...


I am humbly grateful to have my home on this piece of land in Canada.  
I am keenly aware of the debt I owe to the original keepers of this land.

I acknowledge the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, Huron-Wendat, and Haudenosaunee.
I also acknowledge the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation as my close neighbour.

I recognize the contributions that have been made by the Métis, Inuit, and other Indigenous Peoples
in shaping and strengthening our communities.

I thank all the generations of people who have taken care of this land for thousands of years.
Miigwech.


On July 1, 1960, John Diefenbaker, Canada's 13th Prime Minister, introduced the Canadian Bill of Rights in Parliament with these words:

"I am a Canadian!
Free to speak without fear,
Free to worship in my own way,
Free to stand for what I think right,
Free to oppose what I believe wrong,
Free to choose those who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and mankind."



I'm thrilled and proud to be a part of the colourful mosaic that is my home and native land. We're not perfect, not by a long shot; we're not without problems; we've got critical issues and controversies that need tending, but not right now. Let the problems and politics, failures and controversies take a back seat today.



Happy Canada Day, eh!



©2019 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment