Monday 19 August 2019

Monday Meander - August 19, 2019


Nothing like a few days away to put me weeks behind, or so it seems. We returned home Friday just after 2pm having enjoyed 3+ idyllic days in the land of  Niagara wine and the Shaw Festival. Then there ensued a whirlwind of activity: the car was unpacked, a trip into town for groceries and to retrieve the furry beast from the 'spa' (she was all fluffy from a bath that morning and only just a little upset with us!), then off to the farm to pick up the weekly veggies followed by the phone mail, the email and the laundry.

Oh and then someone had to make supper! No printed menus to peruse, no ice water shimmering in fine glassware, no gleaming cutlery, no executive chef, no one to chop and clean, no servers, eager to please, and no artistry on a plate.



Just me, flash thawing some haddock and rescuing veggies that had made it three-quarters of the way to the compost bin all because the house sitters did not eat them, tossing all in the oven then slapping it on a plate in some ill-fated attempt at presentation craft. Well - at least it tasted good.

And what did we bring home with us?


Sixty-five, yes 65! bottles of wine, thirty-one reds and thirty-four whites, which I catalogued and lay down in the cellar on Saturday. But that's not all. We stopped by a Mennonite farm on the way home and brought two baskets of peaches. Yesterday, those were blanched, peeled, sliced, and either put into pies or frozen.


I do love peach pie, peach & blueberry pie, peach cobbler, peach crisp, and more but the fruit is a mess to prepare and leaves a sticky mess, so then, of course, I had to wash the kitchen floor.

Is it nap time yet?

We also brought home good memories of excellent live theatre, an evening of supper and theatre shared with our son and daughter-in-law, and a delicious escape to a town of amazing gardens. Oh, what I could do if only I had a fulltime gardener!




I know all too well the depth and breadth of my ToDo list for the coming days and weeks, but still, I'm going to just meander my way back to ordinary.




©2019 April Hoeller



1 comment: