Thursday 29 August 2019

Thursday, or Thereabouts - August 29, 2019



A gentle breeze wafts through the sunroom as I watch butterflies, birds and grasshoppers make the most of summer's offerings. I'm pleased to see that the hummingbirds are still stopping by to sip nectar from blooms and feeder in equal measure. I wonder for how much longer? Last year they hung around well into September.


The Labour Day weekend sits poised on the doorstep. All and sundry it seems are anxious to kick summer to the curb. The retail world stands far ahead of the crowd having trotted out the Hallowe'en paraphernalia along with mitts and parkas a few weeks ago. And the meteorological world declares that the last day of summer is August 31st.

But just hang on a cotton-pickin' moment!
Hold your horses! What's the hurry? 

My readers know well that I'm not a fan of heat and humidity, but I still think that summer's first days and her last are her most glorious. So I will take my seasonal directions from above and beyond, from the great daystar who offers light and life for free.



The sun declares that the autumnal equinox signals summer's departure. This year, in my part of the world this changing of the guard is set for the early morning hours, 03:50 to be precise, on Monday, September 23rd. That's TWENTY-FIVE days from today. There is absolutely no need for summer to even begin thinking about packing her bags just yet.





I rejoice in these late summer days blessed by warm breezes and cool nights, with windows wide open and receptors primed to take in a sensory feast of delights. There's still plenty of blooming going on in my garden.





There are still plenty of days to celebrate summer goodness...



 ...and even preserve some of it to savour in the dark months.


Better grab it while I can.


Cheers!




©2019 April Hoeller


1 comment:

  1. September 23rd. Oddlyenough that is the date for a memorial service for my friend who died last weekend in England. She would like it that her exit was coinciding with the end of summer. Nice photos April!

    ReplyDelete