Monday 12 August 2013

Monday Moanings - August 12, 2013

On the Wagon...

Sitting on my wagon rocking back and forth at the top of a new week. My fountain pen is fully loaded with fresh ink. It's time to get down to some serious writing.

I must say I'm really quite pleased with myself for keeping up with two blog posts a week. I wish I could say the same about the book; work on it has all but ground to a halt. I'm not stuck, it's not writer's cramp. There is a host of scene skeletons neatly suspended in the file folder just waiting for some flesh and connective tissue. So what's the hold up?

Well here's the truth: I spend way too much time with this question in the percolator while my write hand guides and clicks a mouse through the intricacies of Sudoku puzzles and Mahjong Titans. Such activity while apparently good for my ageing brain and the consumption of time, does little else of benefit to either me or the world.

What I need is a mouse trap, but where oh where does one find a trap for such a mouse. And how then does one set it? I know that the sheer joy of completing a scene or three is the best bait in town. The rest, I'm guessing is a matter of timing, and with that in mind I have blocked off 1:30 to 4:00 pm every day through Friday this week to step away from the mouse and put my write hand to the book. Because I am a firm believer in under-committing and over-delivering, I have left the weekend open even though I am often very productive on a Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon. For the same reason I am not going to commit to a total word count. Let's just see what I can do this week and then perhaps next week, I'll up the ante. And yes, I will give an account of myself in a week's time. The pressure is on!

But now it's time to tighten up the chin strap on the helmet, lower the goggles into position and push off...

Wherever you are, have a great ride this week.

Northumberland, England
©April Hoeller

1 comment:

  1. your writing is sounding more and more relaxed and YOU lately....must be the frequency :)
    ...am really lovin' it and hearing YOU

    ReplyDelete