Monday 24 February 2014

Monday Moanings - February 24, 2014

Hanging up my jersey

courtesy of the Canadian Olympic Team
After 17 days of thrills and spills, passion and power, the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia have come to an end. There were a few glitches - all typical of an undertaking of this magnitude - and not one of the much touted, frightening scenarios materialised. I suppose there may be some out there in the big bad world who are disappointed by the lack of extremist explosions, but I along with most of the world I believe, am most grateful for the peacefulness. Vladimir Putin and company put on a good show, and for that too we are all grateful. The athletes put too much effort and sacrifice into preparing for the Olympics to have them sabotaged by shoddy venues and organisation.

The Sochi Games were a success! Perfect? No, of course not, but well done.
Thank you Sochi.
Thank you Russia.
Thank you to all who participated.
Thank you to the entire Canadian Olympic Team for giving your best;
for living out not just your dreams but my Olympic dreams too,
and for making us all so proud to be Canadian.

courtesy of the Canadian Olympic Team


Now all that remains is for me to hang up my Team Canada jersey ... or not ... I think I'll wear it a few more times this week, this month, this year. It just feels that good!



(But is it okay now to hang up "We Are Winter" and put on something warmer, like We Are Spring? Just wondering...)

©2014 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment