Thursday 18 September 2014

Thursday, or Thereabouts - September 18, 2014

Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow





I threw my legs out of bed this morning and right into a pair of cranky pants. I didn't mean to. I certainly did not lay them out on the chair last night as today's wardrobe,  but I'm sure wearing the moody blues today. Irritable doesn't even begin to describe the bear living in my body today. Sure it was cool, raw and overcast this morning but there's plenty of warmth, light, hot tea and lovely music where I live.

What the crap is this all this about? Why am I so ornery today?





I had a great day yesterday. I got the white wine purchases from last week, all 54 bottles, catalogued and bedded down in the cellar. Now I'm a bit of a nutter about this process. The wines must be ordered by varietal (blend, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Vidal, Sparkling) and within that, alphabetically by winery and all is recorded meticulously on a Excel spreadsheet. I told you I was a nutter, right? But I'm an organized nutter!





Okay, so integrating the new with the 38 wines already on the shelf is a big job which elicited some head scratching and one or two instances of hair pulling yesterday, but in the end I got the job done. Every glass soldier had a place to lie down, save one, an old un-oaked chardonnay. It died a hero's death at supper.


Tomorrow, my love and I have a full day planned. First stop is IKEA®; I need two more shelves for the wine racks. Forty-one red coats stand waiting for a place to rest and there's not enough room at the inn. Then we're off to the Toronto Fall Home Show to scout out some bathroom ideas and few other updates. I have to confess that such sales expositions are not my idea of fun - I hate crowds, I hate noise, and I really hate high pressure sales tactics - but the tickets were free and the ideas will be too. As a reward for enduring the cacophony of the home show, the day ends with a divine supper, a sedate, flavourful Italian meal with wine of course! One red soldier will fall tomorrow night.




Tomorrow will be a good day. Yesterday was a great day. Today, not so much, but when viewed as a day bookended by two successful, fun days, it acquires a certain measure of tolerance, even acquiescence. I can mooch around cranky pants and all today, comfortable in the knowledge that tomorrow, just as yesterday, I'll be wearing something else.





©2014 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment