Thursday 4 September 2014

Thursday, or Thereabouts - September 4, 2014

"Hurricane" Norbert






What began as a tropical depression in the Pacific Ocean, grew into a tropical storm and is now Hurricane Norbert.

NOAA - National Hurricane Center

What's so special about this? Well not very much - an entirely normal event in the eastern Pacific Ocean at this time of year has followed an entirely normal pattern of development - EXCEPT this tropical cyclone share's my Love's name. It had my attention the moment NOAA posted the first advisory and I have followed Norbert all week.

The name is not a popular appellation, not a Tom, Dick or Harry kind of name at all and I was thrilled to imagine this naming as an entirely unique event - the very first time Norbert had been a hurricane. Alas, a few keystrokes and the fount of all knowledge, Google, dumped a deluge on my bravado. No less than three other Norberts have churned up wind and rain in the Pacific (September 1984, September 1990, and October 2008); two of these, 1984 & 2008, were major hurricanes (Category 4).

At this writing Hurricane Norbert is about 255km south-southwest of the southern tip of Baja, California and is not expected to intensify too much more. I couldn't help but smile as I read through the rest of NOAA bulletin - there were definite similarities to the Norbert I know so well.
sustained winds of 150km/h; moving NW at 11km/h: "Yeah," says my love reading over my shoulder, "that's me - lots of spin but lacking significant forward motion." 
a little more organised this morning: good to know and indeed yes he was, in the morning. 
Category 1; absolutely, no question, he is my #1.
September 6, 1975





My "Hurricane" Norbert and I celebrate 39 years of storming through life together on Saturday (Sept. 6).
We are a loosely organised system that tracks all over the globe with no sign of dissipating in the foreseeable future. We have two spin-offs that are well on their way to becoming well developed systems with their own pattern of travel and landfall. We are blessed.










May 6, 2014 - The Great Wall of China, Badaling Hills

©2014 April Hoeller

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

2 comments:

  1. Ooops! I thought I posted a comment. Not sure what happened. but here goes again.
    Aww! Loved the way you connect the two Norberts! Happy Anniversary and here's wishing you many more years of whirling around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ketaki for your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete