Thursday 20 August 2015

Thursday, or Thereabouts - August 20, 2015

In the moment, and on the day!

As Wednesday yielded to Thursday, a musical flourish rang out. The screen on my cell phone lit up the midnight darkness. And I smiled. This is the day!


Okay, so perhaps an electronic triplet of tones does not a fanfare make,
still for this common blogger, today is a day of jubilation.
              




                              Blogpost #250!








"What I'm thinking today - A collection of random thoughts, worries, celebrations and memories" debuted on August 11, 2011 with the piece "Opening Gambit" I was off and blogging at full tilt, posting almost daily for three weeks, before running low on fuel. Posts then slowed to an intermittent trickle and sometimes dried up altogether for months on end, with not even so much as a single photo.


The approach of my 60th birthday in 2013 put a pen back in my hand along with a renewed commitment to regular blogging. "Monday Moanings" first appeared on March 18th, 2013. Three days later "Thursday Thermals" appeared with a reflection on "Ready or not, here comes 60." Three months later during the Stanley Cup hockey finals, "or Thereabouts" replaced "Thermals" in the weekly lineup. And the rest is history, or perhaps just a legend in my own mind.

With the exception of those times when I'm travelling with my love out of the country, I publish a post to this blog twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays. Almost without exception, each one is written on the day. I've tried writing them earlier then scheduling publication to the blog, but that never seems quite right. Clearly I prefer to be in the moment, on the day. Some days it's a struggle - ideas refuse to gel and words come slowly or not at all. Some days I have to leave it to my photos to do the job. But some days ideas, words and images come together as though they were a well rehearsed piece. Those occasions, though few, always surprise and amaze me.


I no longer write each piece out in longhand as I did when I first set out on this blogging expedition. Most posts are keyboarded at my desk computer. Rest assured this does not mean that my beloved fountain pen now lies dormant. It is pressed into service on special occasions, such as this one.


And I do always enjoy what happens, what flows across the page, whether it is to a place I intended from the outset or to some place I never imagined. So I'll keep on blogging, sharing my thoughts, worries, celebrations and memories in words and pictures with all of you.

I am grateful for all my readers and followers. Thank you for taking the time to read my posts. Thank you for the likes on Facebook, 1+'s on Google+ and blog comments. Bless you.


Life is about doing the best I can, enjoying each day as it comes.
And at the end of the day, it's about being content with what I have done and what I have not done,
so that I can look forward to a new day, new joys, new possibilities.
(first written March 21, 2013)

See you Monday!



©2015 April Hoeller







4 comments:

  1. Congratulations April...it's wohooo!! time...250 posts!!! WOW!
    Ketaki shared one of your posts with me a bit over a year ago, I think. And I was hooked. I'm a fan of your writing and in awe of how regularly you write.
    Thank you for, 'And at the end of the day, it's about being content with what I have done and what I have not done.' I needed to read this today.
    Here's to many more Mondays and Thursdays...cheers!
    hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arti! I love that I have followers from over the sea and far away. I do so appreciate that you take the time to comment too. Makes it a bit like having a pen pal.
      Best wishes and hugs too. xx

      Delete
  2. Cheers and many congratulations April....you are an amazing blogger... and reading your blogs has a nice uplifting effect on me...cheering, resonating, mind vocabulary and turn of phrase improving, are some of the effects...it is indeed like having a pen pal ...my virtual friend from Ontario...( a Canadian friend in Doha seemingly grew up close to where you are and knew of your town...that somehow seemed to bring you closer).... And am so delighted that I have helped to add Arti to your fan following! ...keep em coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ketaki, for such high praise. I am blessed to have followers like you and Arti to accompany me week by week. Take care, my friend.
      xx

      Delete