Monday 2 May 2016

Monday Moanings - May 2, 2016

When the Chips are Down

Why is there NEVER any junk food in the house when the craving strikes? A cool, rainy Sunday unleashed a mad desire for potato chips. No designer flavours or textures, no virtuous blend, or baked crispiness, just the real deal.








But what's in my larder?
A heap of cherry tomatoes saturated in redness, a forest of celery upstanding in crispness, a shrubbery of cauliflower and broccoli co-mingling white and green, adult carrots displaying bright orange firm thickness and round apples promising juicy sweetness.

Not a single unwholesome crumb to be found. No cookies, no crackers, pretzels or nuts (well there's always a few of those around, but none are edible!).




The nearest store is a ten minute drive from home, which is more than enough time for the Environmentalist and the Nutritionist in me to discharge a barrage of dire warnings about fossil fuels and clogged arteries, air pollution and high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes and climate change.

Death by potato chip!


Sometimes I do protest such noble sensibility. Clean eating does not always make the grade. Sometimes there is nothing quite so satisfying as that initial crunch and fulsome mouth-feel of a crisp, fat fried potato chip! Too bad just one is never enough.

Oh well, it's Monday. Sensibility has gained the upper hand, and it's May!
The hummingbird feeders are up, awaiting the first arrivals ...


... and the begonias are hung by the deckpost with care.


Have a great week!

©2016 April Hoeller




1 comment:

  1. Inedible nuts; cracked me up:)
    I'm sipping my earl grey and munching on kale crisps while I enjoy this break in my day. These kale crisps have crunch. I'm happy.
    Enjoy your week, too.

    ReplyDelete