Monday 30 May 2016

Monday Moanings - May 30, 2016

Prescription: A Night out on the Town

Any morning that begins with sunshine and a frothy fragrant cappuccino is not worth moaning about.


Besides, a month that opened with much anxiety about upcoming major surgery, blossomed into one marked by a good footing on the somewhat winding road to recovery and healing.

It's been said that the twists and turns, on any journey are the most interesting parts. I don't think the adage applies to this particular kind of adventure. The setbacks have not been been appealing at all. I suppose though they have been and will continue to be somewhat instructive.

S L O W   D O W N

While I cannot fully embrace the concept all the time, I do try to surround my limited activities with large comforters of rest. So it was this past weekend when we had tickets to a Toronto Symphony Orchestra performance in the city. Back in frozen January when the tickets were booked my surgery was anticipated for mid April, so a big night out on the town at the end of May seemed like a safe bet. But at just 18 days post surgery, it was going to be a bit of a stretch.











Last week was tough on the recovery front, nevertheless I was bound and determined to make it to the symphony. I lounged through the days as best I could, right up until we had to leave for the city. Supper out was amazing and the concert was magnificent with pieces by Ives, Janáček and Elgar in the first half, followed by the blockbuster Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss. 



























The best digital recording coming through the best ear buds in the world cannot hold a candle to a live performance! I was moved to tears a few times and jumped (sort of) to my feet to join in the standing ovation at the end of Strauss symphony. Yesterday I was pretty much bagged, my body unwilling and unable to power up for almost anything.














Was it worth it? 
Oh you bet, every minute of it.  
A perfect reward for endurance and perseverance.

A toast to even better days ahead.




©2016 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment