Monday 30 July 2018

Monday Moanings - July 30, 2018


Yesterday, torrential rain and hail blasted through these parts in all of ninety minutes. This intrepid storm watcher was fascinated by it all. As the winds were coming from the north to northwest, I closed up those windows then continued my watch. I alternated between tracking the storm on weather radar and watching it all coming down outside my windows. I was in my element. Then the wind shifted. In seconds, rain obliterated the screens on the open south windows of the sunroom. The wood floor I worked so hard on to reclaim and polish was getting wet. I rushed in to get those darn windows closed.




My right foot shot out from under me like a watermelon seed and down I went.

 The #1 thing that scares me, a gal of vintage years, is falling and breaking something, especially a hip. So there I lay on the wet floor, at first unable to move and feeling only panic beginning to wick up my body. I've really done it this time, I thought. What an idiot!

A few minutes later as the pain and shock subsided, as the very concerned dog licking my face became annoying, the panic and self-recriminations eased.




I was able to get up off the floor without assistance - so clearly my hips were working. My left knee, which had been tucked up behind me, seemed to get the worst of it so I iced it and rested for the rest of the day and evening. This morning the knee is working fine. It's bruised but otherwise moving as it ought. But my right shoulder is not happy. It's muscle type pain so I'll just have to grin and bear it. Oh and maybe rest it a bit too.

This truly is a Monday MOANING!  

There will be no gym today. No lawnmowing. No garden work. No housework!

On second thought maybe this is not so bad? The sun is shining and my gladiolus blooms are rejoicing in the sunshine.


Be careful out there, folks. Watch out for wet floors.




©2018 April Hoeller

4 comments:

  1. Not only be happy for no serious issue! Take a day or two vacation.
    P.S. poor dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. It was indeed a close call and I am resting the sore parts.
      You are quite right about our dog Sophie. She was most concerned and trying very hard to help in her own way. Poor doggie.
      Take care.
      April

      Delete
  2. Wet floors can be lethal... I have had a few close ones on bathroom floors and I too am terrified of breaking a bone ...take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Ketaki, those wet floors are slick! I was on a mission to get the windows closed, not realizing how much rain had already landed on the floor. Hindsight is a marvelous thing!
      Ah well, beyond a sore knee and shoulder, I escaped relatively unscathed.
      Take care, my friend.
      xx

      Delete