Thursday 2 August 2018

Thursday, or Thereabouts - August 2, 2018






Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But the A/C is so delightful.

And since we've no place to go,
Think of snow, think of snow, think of snow...



I know, there are folks out there for whom the ideal summer is an endless parade of sultry days where air temperatures soar past 30°C. For you heat lovers, Sizzling Summer 2018 is a real winner.





For me, it's not really been that great. The 3-H's - hazy, hot and humid - will never be invited to any of my barbeques. For that, I make no apologies, though I do apologize for any offense incurred by my blast of cold air today.



When my children were young, a string of hot days brought challenges. Yes, we had air conditioning in the house but after about three days of indoor life, the blanket forts, videos, and crafts lost their appeal. Cabin fever soon raised my indoor temperature beyond tolerable. When that happened, we made good an escape. If the budget permitted we'd go freeze in a movie theatre. There was something fun about bundling up to sit in a theatre when outside a t-shirt was too warm.


Most often, we headed to a cool mall. Again out came the sweaters. I had rules of course - no fighting, or screaming. Violations were punishable by immediate departure for all. That only happened once. For the most part, these excursions were cheap entertainment - there was always something new to see - and mmmarvellous mmmuffins® (as the shop was known back then), was always good for a snack.




Sometimes more expensive pursuits were on the agenda - snowsuits in August! There were giggles as heavy pants and jackets were tried on for size along with matching wooly hats and mitts. Then it was off to Lewiscraft (no longer a retailer), for a new craft, or a colouring book and maybe even a pack of brand new crayons.


Then with a box of extra muffins for Dad, knick-knacks, snow gear, and smiles, we headed home, where there were homemade popsicles, lemonade, and maybe even a nap - for me!

After supper, it was off to the baseball diamond or the soccer pitch, and sometimes both depending on which child was playing when.



























Those were the days -
the best kind of 3-H days - Happy, Healthy, Home. 






©2018 April Hoeller

2 comments:

  1. I live in the deep south (USA) and as I was reading your post, I was amazed that you do things on the hot days that we do on our rare snow days -- blanket forts, crafts, videos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too fun! Indoor days demand blanket forts, crafts and videos no matter where you are or what the 'awful' weather brings to our doors.
      Thank you, Lisa for stopping by my door today.
      Take care.
      April

      Delete