Monday 28 October 2019

Monday Meander - October 28, 2019

Puzzling...











Over the weekend the disposal bug struck with gusto. That in itself is an unusual occurrence! Nevertheless, the fact remains that my household and I have reached the age and stage where disposal trumps acquisitions and anytime to get rid of stuff is a good time! I cleared out three bankers' boxes. The contents of two of them I dispatched to the Salvation Army along with three pairs of gently used shoes and a collection teddy bears. The third box was full of business papers from 1989 through 2001. Who needs those? I fed them to the hungry shredder and they are now ready for the recycling depot. Good job, eh?
















I then decided to tackle the hall closet. I knew this was dangerous. I knew the treasures that lay within but buoyed by success, I dared to pull open the bi-fold doors.


My pupils dilated, my heart raced, and my fingers twitched at the sight before me - a luminous tower of jigsaw puzzles. London, New York, and Venice, trains, boats, and island houses, antique tools, toys, and more. Oh my!


My thumb and fingers rubbed together in joyous memory of the soft click as a long-sought puzzle piece finds its place in the whole. My heart warmed to the thought of bringing order and beauty out of a jumble of cardboard. And I sighed in tribute to the triumph of pressing that final piece into place. It is as close to perfection as it gets...














I turned away from the tower of temptation, trying to force my attention to the other side of the closet, the one stacked with thirty+ year-old children's toys and games. But alas I cast a glance back to my left.  Only for a moment, I swear! Long enough to see a bright orange jack-o-lantern wink at me.




'All Hallow's Eve' levitated into my hands. My feet spirited the box and me to the dining room table where the final temptation spilled out...



As I was transported away from the closet,  I swear I heard sighs of relief punctuated by a few victorious cackles coming from behind those mahogany bi-fold doors...

I'll ponder that a bit while I'm sitting at the dining room table this week piecing together jack-o-lanterns, witches, ghosts and ghouls.



©2019 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment