Thursday 26 December 2013

Thursday, or Thereabouts - December 26, 2013

On the Feast of Stephen...The Second Day of Christmas

The view outside my door this morning - a fresh snowfall

Time to put together the Christmas Box for all our servants and trades people on the estate and top up the alms box in the church for the poor. It's the Feast of Stephen!

What's that you say? That's not done anymore?

Our Tree Christmas Morning
Well it is true that I don't live on an estate, though my abode would be considered palatial in some parts of the world; I don't have any servants or tradespeople working for me, though this morning there is a very nice young man (my daughter's man) clearing snow off the steps and deck; and if I could find a church nearby that was open I'd be hard pressed to find the alms box. What I can find on this Boxing Day is a celebration of greed at shopping malls and big box stores -- a retail frenzy that I have absolutely zero interest in seeing or hearing about, and much less in partaking of it's lineups and chaos.


Today the joy of Christmas continues as we gather for a festive celebration of the season with my extended family. There will be noise as children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all come together; there will be a boxes and bags and a frenzy of torn wrapping paper as the young ones open yet another deluge Christmas presents; there will be plates piled high with food, full glasses and even fuller hearts. Memories will be made and love will be shared.
It will still be Christmas.




©2013 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment