Thursday 23 July 2015

Thursday, or Thereabouts - July 23, 2015

In Recovery

Thursday? It's Thursday?? Really??? Okay, I guess I'd better write something, especially as it seems this hump-day-plus-one time slot has been empty for two weeks.


I've been busy, as you know, being mother of the bride. But now the party is over; all the 'after parties' are over; the guests from afar have gone home and the newlyweds are honeymooning down east. My dress has been put away, my shoes put back in the box; even my elegant chapeau has been tucked up in it's own hatbox.


Only the nail polish on my toes testifies to there having been some grand event; that and all the photos (in a few weeks, the pro's work will add even more images of the day).


I'm feeling a bit bereft, a kind of mild postpartum depression. For hours, days, weeks and months planning and preparations ramped up expectations, hopes AND the imagination machine. All those what if's, I hope's and must have's wound themselves together into one tight dynamic ball of energy - a heady mixture of anxiety and joy.




The wedding happened. The food was amazing, the dancing energetic even in the heat, and the night time skyline of Toronto dazzled all as we sailed back to the mainland.

What it looked like to me at 1am Sunday morning

What it really looked like

All went very well. The good imaginings came to pass and the disastrous ones did not! Then suddenly it was over. This introvert soul, one who craves quiet, order and regular doses of solitude, is oddly restless with this week's lack of urgency. Isn't there something I should be doing, some task swinging wildly on a short tether of a timeline?  Sighs and shrugs are the only answers that come to me.

Eddies of doldrums swirl around me. Snippets of music and conversation, snapshots of faces and scenery from the days preparation and celebration - these memory movies bubble up, bringing smiles and chuckles. Methinks I'd be wise to enjoy this quiet interlude. The pace of regularly scheduled life will pick up soon enough with the usual round of triumphs and disappointments, gains and losses. So today I rest and smile in the afterglow of a family celebration enfolded with love.

It really doesn't get much better than this.


©2015 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment