Thursday 28 May 2020

Thursday, or Thereabouts - May 28, 2020

In the Doldrums


It's that kind of day here, inside and out. Three days of blazing sun and high humidity have given way to overcast skies but still very humid air as we await the heavy rains forecast for later today courtesy of topical depression Bertha. I've had what feels like a busy week. By what I once knew as normal, there wasn't a lot of activity, not an overflowing list of accomplishments to show, but in this pandemic world, a ninety-minute virtual meeting, a thirty-minute workout with my personal trainer via Zoom, and a trip into the heart of downtown Toronto for an annual check of my retinal scarring (good result: no significant change = no surgery) has somehow sucked the stuffing out of me. 

This not quite so ancient mariner has sailed into the doldrums.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, no breath no motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.
from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I know where I am. I know that soon the winds will pick up and I'll be on my way again under full sail. In the meantime, I'll sit up on deck and befriend the calm, enjoy the stillness, and await the freshening breeze. Besides, good things are growing right outside my door!


Still keeping it together apart,
Take Care.
Be well.


©2020 April Hoeller




1 comment:

  1. I agree with you April. I settled into a nice routine in the lockdown. Now, as happy as I am to be back at the barn and riding, there seems to be less time and still a lot to do. Some CV19 procedures take waaaaay longer. Grocery shopping is a veritable mission notjust because of the shopping but the sanitizing takes FOR EVER! But we shall persist and carry on and all that.

    ReplyDelete