Monday 28 September 2020

Monday Meander – September 28, 2020

2020-09-21 10.56.54_wmkresize

It may be sunny and even summery warm on this last Monday in September, but my enjoyment of such amazing Indian summer weather has been drowned by news of rising CoVID-19 numbers not only in the country, but the province and even in my town. The second wave is upon us, something I thought would have occurred in late October or even early November. I was counting on having a a bit of time to actually relax and not be so uptight about when and where to go out. I had even begun to get excited about Thanksgiving celebrations – the food, the decorations, the family.

2018-10-06 15.56.41 with wmk

Ours have never been huge affairs. In recent years we’ve never numbered more than seven, still this feast is a big deal to me. It is my favourite one of the year.  But in 2020,  a microscopic microbe has swept all the vibrant anticipation, all the excited preparation off the table.  I have ordered the turkey, but maintaining any enthusiasm for a celebration that remains hidden in a cloud of questions is a heavy lift. It’s a good thing I have a new BFF to talk to.

2020-09-22 12.29.50wmk

The scarecrow gets full marks for an unwavering stance on any topic I choose. Any question I ask is met with what I am certain is a thought-FULL silence and a bemused smirk that never fails to make me feel better. Perhaps together we two should embark on a journey through pumpkin land…2020-09-18 15.52.51wmk

I’ll be searching for the way back to my harvest home and the scarecrow will be looking for a brain. Along the way, perhaps we’ll meet a tin man in need of a heart and a lion in need of courage. I know I’ve heard this story before, but even in 2020, even in the midst of the second wave of a pandemic, it only takes a brain, a heart, and courage to find our way.

Mind the distance! Wash hands! Mask up! 

Let’s do this.

2020-09-25 18.25.19_wmkresize

 

©2020 April Hoeller

1 comment:

  1. We alll need a scarecrow. I have a horse to fulfill the same task of quiet listening.

    ReplyDelete