Monday 24 September 2018

Monday Moanings - September 24, 2018



Well, here I sit at the top of the last week in September wondering just where the month went! No point in languishing in the past, it's time to kick off into the week, beginning with a blog post. But, what to write? Some days fishing is a good metaphor for my writing process - just throw out a line and see what's biting. Let me give that a try.


A grand overhand cast sends the line out over the placid lake of my mindfulness. I watch it drop into the water, ripples fanning out in perfect concentric circles of potential. With my lips pursed and breath full of anticipation, I begin a slow retrieve of the line. I don't want to miss a single tug of a good idea on the line. Nothing.

Undaunted I again cast my line out over the water. Nothing.

 I check my tackle and recast the line, aiming for the quiet pool just beyond the reeds, just over the rock ledge, that ... perfect ... spot. Nada, not even so much as a nibble of interest.


Off the end of a dock or from a canoe on the lake, just the casting of a line is a happy pursuit. Perfection of the technique is a reward, and it's a very happy one for me. Not so with the writing rod and reel. Instead, I am quickly frustrated, discouraged by the empty retrieve. I give up, stomp away from my desk in a huff.

I'd rather be fishing!




 ©2018 April Hoeller


No comments:

Post a Comment