Monday 17 June 2019

Monday Moanings - June 17, 2019




Just in case you hadn't heard or read, the Toronto Raptors are the NBA 2019 Champions.

Today 2M+ people are expected to line the victory parade route through the streets of Toronto. Not even in my wildest dreams would I ever want to be in the city today. Why would any sane person? I don't get it! I don't understand all the hype and excitement.

Yes, it is the first time in NBA history that "We the North," that team from the other side of the border, has won the championship. And yes, that is something to celebrate. What I can't wrap my head around, what I don't share with so many of my Canadian brothers and sisters is the unbounded revelry that has overtaken the citizenry.



Flipping between national TV channels looking for the Friday evening news, one might have begun to think that nothing else happened anywhere in the world that day that was even the slightest bit more important than the Raptors' win. Was it really that monumental? Not in my book. I'm not saying that this win shouldn't be celebrated. I am proud that a Canadian team, the team from my home town, won. But I'm not wild with joy and I don't understand why so many others are.


Are we so desperate to have something to celebrate in this otherwise troublesome world that a winning sports team composed of highly paid multinational men can evoke an upwelling of celebration the likes of which have not been seen since heaven knows when?

Are we so desperate to be with others, to be a community gathered together in person to celebrate in the otherwise technology isolating world of virtual friends that a professions sports team championship win can activate an ejection button catapult us away from our seats in front of video screens? To meet and be with hordes of real people? To talk and laugh, scream and cheer, be excited and joyful together?


A high need for celebration and community. Yes, perhaps that's what's fueling all the hype and hoopla. I can understand that. It makes sense to this curmudgeon sitting in front of a computer screen this Monday, moaning.

Cheers folks.
And, for the record:

Well done, Raptors!

image: Toronto Raptors Facebook® page



©2019 April Hoeller





1 comment:

  1. I would not have gone to the city now but 10nyears ago I might have and 20 years ago I would have gone for sure. Watching on TV is not the same as being there. And I am delighted about the win and highly paid men not withstanding they are athletes at the top of this game and that is something to be appreciated and respected. And yes the rest of the news is either depressing or worrisome and most of it is about situations I can do nothing about. So I'm big on the Raptors winning.

    ReplyDelete