Monday 10 May 2021

Monday Meander - May 10, 2021

Baskets and Birds

The Mother's Day weekend has always been the time when I set out six to eight hanging baskets of blooming colour around the house. At first, this year looked like it would be a fail as my perusal last Wednesday of my usual sources turned up nothing I either wanted nor was willing to pay. Two garden centres were just setting out stock and what they had was, in a word, meh. Friday's excursion proved modestly better but Saturday's drop in at a grocery store outdoor garden centre was perfect.


Hanging baskets are the best choice in my part of the world for this time of year as frost remains a distinct possibility until the first week of June (even later there can be unwelcome chilly surprises).


Every evening since Friday, I've had to bring the blooms into the garage as temperatures dropped to freezing. Tonight's forecast again is advising of frost. I might be okay with that, but unless one is up and out first thing in the morning, sunshine is also missing from too much of too many days. As I've been writing this, the clear blue skies of 9am have have once again been overtaken by clouds. It's getting as tedious as a pandemic lockdown! 

Even the hummingbirds are tentative in their return with just one showing up now and then.


And I've yet to see a Baltimore Oriole at the feeder, but I know they have been sighted in the vicinity. The orange, nectar and grape jelly are all set up for them. Goldfinches, chipping sparrows and pine warblers are the main attraction at my feeders.

Pine Warbler

Elsewhere in the yard, the first trim of the lawn  has been done and the forget-me-nots and wild strawberry blossoms are popping up...


...as are the tulips, though the cool temperatures keep them closed up to stay warm.


The rhubarb is set for first harvest by mid-week.


And that's the way it is as the second week of May kicks into gear.

Stay safe. Be well.
Enjoy the emerging colour and bird song of spring. 



©2021 April Hoeller


2 comments:

  1. I love your brightly colored Adirondack chairs! It is always so interesting to read about other parts of the country. We've had Baltimore Orioles in our courtyard for weeks. Do you feed them grape jam? In a dish? Ours eat the berries out of our trees. We are having a little "cool spell" this week with highs in the 70's. Next week our highs are back in the mid 80's here in Alabama. What do you make with your rhubarb? Pie? I've never cooked with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Thanks for commenting. Yes, I do put out grape jelly for the orioles, also nectar and oranges. Still no orioles today, but the rhubarb is loving the cool (50°F) weather. I do make pies and rhubarb crisp. I also freeze cut pieces for muffins and making sauce. Rhubarb sauce is great on roast pork!
      It is supposed to warm up to more normal temps (mid to high 60's) beginning tomorrow. I'm ready for that.
      Take care.
      April

      Delete