Thursday 4 May 2023

Thursday, or Thereabouts - May 4, 2023

 Some Personal Thoughts on the Coronation

I had the privilege earlier this week of being with a group of international women enjoying time, conversation together and sharing a meal along with a few laughs. The most engaging conversation I had with a few of the women was about the coronation of Charles III. Typical of what a number of news agencies have been reporting, our views were mixed with no extreme positives or negatives, just a jumble of thoughts and feelings either side of neutral.

 The New Yorker© cover speaks volumes!

And what is my view? It's an important historic event and I'll be tuning in early (5:00am here) Saturday morning. Though this will be the second coronation in my lifetime, I was just shy of two months old when Queen Elizabeth was crowned, so this will be the first one I'll be able to watch as it happens. That's exciting!  Also, it could well be the only one I see if Charles shares his mother's longevity and persistence and his reign outlasts me.




Then there is the question of the future of the monarchy as a viable, relevant institution. It's a fair question in the 21st century. There are fifteen constitutional monarchies in the British Commonwealth of Nations, of which my home and native land, Canada is one.  Perhaps the reign of Charles III is the opportune time for reflection, evaluation, and decision on whether we choose to become a republic. Such an undertaking can be no swift kick to the curb but will require much care and consideration. In the meantime, I have no reservation or objection to pledging my allegiance to the monarch. It is my duty and obligation as a Canadian. 





However, I do have doubts and reservations about the person about to be crowned King. Charles does not warm my heart. He does not inspire my confidence, and the Queen Consort even less so. I'd be very happy and even relieved to have my reservations proved unfounded, and that is my best hope. 

May King Charles live up to his late mother's wise words:

"When life seems hard, the courageous do not lie down and accept defeat;
instead, they are all the more determined to struggle for a better future."

September 8, 2022 Queen Elizabeth II


God Save the King!

p.s. Though I may nosh on tea and crumpets while I watch the coronation in my jammies on Saturday morning, I assure any and all that I will neither be making nor eating a Coronation Quiche! A quiche with fava beans?! Are you kidding me?

©2023 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment