Monday 16 March 2020

Monday Meander - March 16, 2020



Report from inside the blankie fort...







Peering out through the tent flap, I am disappointed to see that so many arts and culture venues are closed and deeply saddened that our arctic expedition cruise that was set for mid-July has now been cancelled. This cancellation was a move by the Canadian Government to protect the indigenous communities of our north, communities that do not have the resources to respond to an outbreak. I fully understand and support this measure.






Fast approaching my 67th birthday, I am a card-carrying member of the most vulnerable demographic to this pandemic virus. At times these past days a sense of invincibility has arisen within me. I can take care of myself! But COVID-19 is not like a car that I can see coming and just step out of the way to avoid, so I am happy to comply with the recommended social distancing practices. It is the only way to protect myself, my family, and my community. It is my duty.

Ontario as of 10:30am March 16, 2020 (source: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus)

My childhood blankie fort was not as opulent or equipped as what I'm today calling my safe space. My whole house is now the "hidey-hole", more akin to a space station than a blankie fort, that I can tuck myself into to get far away from the madding crowd. There is access to any number of blankies, pillows, crayons, and crafts along with two private bathrooms, fully equipped with towels, soap, shower, and of course toilet paper. The electronics at my disposal for communication and entertainment are numerous. There is also a fully stocked and appliance-equipped kitchen to supply my nutritional needs.

I can even hop in an escape pod, aka car, to explore the universe, and today, pick up a few essentials on the home planet.

Today's quick grocery stop - apples, squashes, cabbage, and some heirloom carrots. Good food! 

I am fortunate to live in a rural community which means that I can go for a walk and not see a single person and anyone I do see is well far away from me. Yesterday, I corraled the Christmas deer into their three-season pasture and checked out the gardens.



I choose prudence, not panic and I am happy in my blankie fort/space station.


Take care, my friends.
Follow the advice of Public Health officials.
Practise social distancing.
Be well.




©2020 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment