Monday 22 April 2019

Monday Moanings - April 22, 2019

It's Earth Day!


This morning I was drawn into the enchanting music of Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" Is there any more appropriate music for Earth Day? I don't think so. Bubbling joy, insistent hope, and awesome wonder seem to dance together.


Is there any more appropriate music for Spring in southern Ontario struggling to assert itself? Don't think so either. Tentative delight, sour setbacks and heartfelt desire move forward in a steadfast march, Spring chanting, "I think I can, I think I can..."

The old Shaker hymn that is integral to Copland's tone poem reminds me:










'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.


When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

 Joseph Brackett (1797 - 1882)













"Protect Our Species" is the slogan of Earth Day this year. At first glance, it seems that there is nothing simple about this task at all. It feels overwhelming!

Galapagos Tortoise

Sure, I can sign petitions, re-post to Facebook and retweet on Twitter all the calls to action; I can donate support to local and national initiatives. But perhaps the first best thing I can do, the best personal action I can take and the simplest is to make environmentally responsible choices at home today and every day.


Reduce, Reuse and Recycle - as challenging as it is to reduce household single-use plastics; as tedious as it is to sort through my discards, castoffs and refuse; as inconvenient as it is to find and then get to reputable recyclers of electronics, metal, window glass, Styrofoam packing blocks and other obscure trash; as frustrating as it is to understand the curbside recycling rules and schedule - Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.


There is more of course to protecting species at risk here at home. I endeavour to make my garden bee-friendly and I let the dandelions bloom - they are such a joyful yellow!


So much to do; so little time...

                    ...many hands make light work.




©2019 April Hoeller




No comments:

Post a Comment