Monday 29 July 2019

Monday Moanings - July 29, 2019




Sitting atop my wagon on this Monday, I'm just letting the wheels rock back and forth - no urgency, no pressure, no need to blast off into this July to August week.

It's summertime and the living is easy...

The most vexing decisions I have to make are how often to go to the gym this week, followed closely by what to make for suppers, and then what to write here in this blog.

It's easy all right...




Scanning the news headlines of the day, it's easy for me to assume (now there's a minefield of a word - assume!) the role of a wise, loving and responsible parent in responding to global crises and conflicts. It's easy for me to imagine a simple corrective strategy: take away their big guns along with their smartphones, separate the combatants and send them to their rooms where they shall remain until such time as they can play nice and respect the dignity of every human being while honouring the land in which they are blessed to live. Easy!


Well yes, but only from where I sit. I don't live in the midst of a region ravaged by conflict. But my heart, a mother's heart aches for the children, and for all the innocents caught in the crossfire of conflict. I grieve the devaluation of human life and the destruction of the land.


I have glimpsed something of what it might feel like to come under attack. Many years ago, thieves broke into our house while we were on vacation. We came home to a house that had been violated, every room had been tossed and some precious things were stolen. A very dark kaleidoscope of sharp jagged feelings tore me apart. Even now as I write this my body stiffens with the memory of vulnerability, fear, and outrage. But this crime happened only once to me and nobody's life was in danger, no one was home. It was not and is not a daily, weekly, monthly or even annual occurrence. It is not the norm of my life. I can't even begin to imagine if it were.


In a rural hamlet in southern Ontario, the only invaders I see daily are a family of rabbits, a momma and two little ones, who covet my marigolds. I do keep the marauders under close surveillance while they conduct early morning and evening raids on my garden, aiming only to click off a good shot with my camera.


There are no undesirable events noted in my week's agenda. No fearsome dental appointments, no threatening doctor's visits, no trials and tribulations in sight.
And that's the way the world looks from my wagon, er, hammock today.


It's summertime and the living IS easy.
Deo gratias!



©2019 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment