Monday 29 June 2020

Monday Meander - June 29, 2020

Report from the blankie fort - Week 16


It's going to be a hot one not just today but all week and into the next week. So say the prophets of weather. I'm thinking of changing my wake/sleep times making them both earlier by ninety minutes. This would give me time to complete the outdoor garden/yard chores by mid-morning. Of course, I've not consulted my body clock about this. I expect there will be some protest that will ease over the course of a week before the bod fully settles into the new routine which I then predict will coincide with the end of the heat.

But enough with this lament on the weather. This week is Canada Week! The highpoint of the celebrations coming smack dab in the middle, on Wednesday. Courtesy of CoVID19, celebrations everywhere are curtailed or canceled and as much of a downer this is, however disappointing it may be, there is still so much to celebrate.



I am humbly grateful to have my home on a piece of land in Canada.  
I am keenly aware of the debt I owe to the original keepers of this land.

I acknowledge the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, Huron-Wendat, and Haudenosaunee.
I also acknowledge the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation as my close neighbour.

I recognize the contributions that have been made by the Métis, Inuit, and other Indigenous Peoples
in shaping and strengthening our communities.

I thank all the generations of people who have taken care of this land for thousands of years.
Miigwech.


On July 1, 1960, John Diefenbaker, Canada's 13th Prime Minister, introduced the Canadian Bill of Rights in Parliament with these words:

"I am a Canadian!
Free to speak without fear,
Free to worship in my own way,
Free to stand for what I think right,
Free to oppose what I believe wrong,
Free to choose those who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and mankind."



I'm thrilled and proud to be a part of the colourful mosaic that is my home and native land. We're not perfect, not by a long shot. We've got critical issues that need our time and attention. We are fighting a pandemic. We are rallying against systemic racism. All at a 2m distance and often while wearing a face mask. But 2m is not a world apart, it's a hockey stick that we can hold together. A mask is not a muzzle, it's a sign of care and concern for others as well as ourselves.


I pledge this week to shake off any scales of cynicism that during these pandemic days have sometimes clouded my vision. I pledge this week to dismiss any complaint that arises in my soul, in my heart or just in my head. I pledge to rise above the disappointments that come my way. This week, Canada Week, I pledge to be mindful of the great privilege of living in this nation and to enjoy and celebrate my home and native land.

Happy Canada Day
All Week-Long! 



©2020 April Hoeller









No comments:

Post a Comment