Monday 10 August 2020

Monday Meander - August 10, 2020

 Report from the Blankie Fort - Week 22


Sitting in my wagon at the top of this week, I'm thinking that it's time to take down the blankie fort. It's taking up a lot of room in my living space and now seems to have morphed from a place of comfort and reassurance into a fortress of worry and irritability. Though it may be a safe place it is no longer my happy place.

It's time to step outside the fort and go about my life because CoVID-19 will be around for a while yet. The current pandemic statistics for my town show just one new case in the last week and 11 active cases while the whole of York Region (population 1.2M) reported 7 new cases yesterday and 248 currently active cases (source). So I'm putting the blankets away and gearing up to get out there with face masks, physical distancing, soap and water (or hand sanitizer when I can't wash properly), and an abundance of caution. If the case numbers take off again, I'll have that blankie fort back up and me inside it faster than greased lightning.


The bears and masked rabbit will remain on station in the sunroom window. Their pandemic job of "Bringers of Good Cheer" continues and continuing in that vein, they are still nurturing the brew of vodka and blackcurrants as it morphs into cassis.


An Easter cookie that was originally a decorating fail, I anointed as an emblem of isolation back in April.


I vowed that it would not be eaten until isolation restrictions were removed. We're not there yet, so the COVID Bunny remains in place, though it did sustain an ear fracture in May (to the culprit: you know who you are!).


There are no crowds, no parties, no indoor dining, no movie theatres, no planes, trains, or buses in my list of acceptable places to be. My family bubble of ten people remains the same. So what has changed? My approach to pandemic life, a change in focus from pandemic to life, my life, a mind shift away from what I can't do to what I can. Because it's time...

And that's the way it is on this day in Week 22.
Stay safe. Stay sane.




©2020 April Hoeller



No comments:

Post a Comment