Thursday 25 February 2021

Thursday, or Thereabouts–February 25, 2021

In-Between Time

P1240274wmk

The ship of this not quite so ancient mariner has arrived in the quiet eddies of the "in between time". Old Man winter has grown tiresome. A frigid February followed a January that though mild, boasted no full snow melt and the snow just piled higher and deeper. 


It's time for winter to just give it up and go, but he won't of course. He'll drag the anchor through at least mid-March, of that I am certain.




Unwanted, unwelcome yet predictable, my annual sojourn in the doldrums always appears on the itinerary in late February. Now one would think that such regularity would give rise to highly effective coping strategies, or even better yet a calculated manoeuvre to avoid this navigational hazard, but no, round and round I go.




This vintage mariner, (not ancient but maybe a tad forgetful?), charts the same course every year: smile and wave at the Candlemas Day lighthouse on February 2, take a quick dip in the pool of joy and warmth amongst the Valentine hearts and flowers, bask in a glow of gratitude on Family Day,  and then…














"Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, no breath no motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean."

from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

 

 


 






Ah but this is no dark place. Along the great wheel of the year, February is an In-Between month - it begins at the midpoint between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox (Brigit's Day) and ends at the very edge of Spring. And the light is returning - at a rate of almost 3 minutes a day!

DSC02396wmk


I am not lost, I know where I am. I know that soon the winds will pick up and I'll be on my way again under full sail. In the mean time, I'll sit up on deck and befriend the calm, smile at winter's last gasps, and await the freshening breeze.  I know what's coming…
 

DSC08668 with wmk2_resize

©2021 April Hoeller

5 comments:

  1. I am finding myself thinking about beaches and ocean waves lapping up onto those beaches. But I know that first week of March always gives us a final snowstorm. So I will continue to dream of beaches. And I love that Ancient Mariner's painted ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! These last weeks of winter are tedious at the best of times.
      Take care and thanks for keeping up with me.

      Delete
  2. At the end of the year, my sister-in-law and I were discussing the short days and dark nights. I had looked at the sunrise and sunset charts just the day before and told her that in 30 days our daylight would already be at least 30 minutes longer. Those dark winter days can suck me under but I live for the light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly does make such a difference to see the sun and to have darkness pushed out to later evening hours.
      Take care, stay safe, AND Let there be light!

      Delete
  3. I am a winter man. I'm already counting the days till Christmas? ;D

    ReplyDelete