Monday 24 April 2023

Monday Meander - April 24, 2023

 Oh, the PlacesYou'll Go, Grammy!

When the grandbabies arrived in my life, I imagined introducing them to all my favourite places and things that I enjoy doing. I imagined the fun and even the educational value of such adventures, opening their minds and eyes to this amazing world. 

And so it was that a few weeks ago we met up with little ones and their parents at the Royal Ontario Museum (the ROM) for their very first visit to the home of dinosaurs, fossils, mummies, and so much more. I was giddy with anticipation, keen to show them the wonders. 


Of course I'd forgotten all about what happens when one goes out in the company of a four-year-old and a nearly two-year-old. I'd forgotten how futile adult plans can be. But was I disappointed? Not one bit! In fact those two little ones led this old fossil on a journey of joy and wonder that was way more fun than anything I had planned or even imagined.

The WOW of dinosaurs!


The finger tip connection to the land before time.


The littles and I were a bit overwhelmed by it all - so much, so big, and so small too - so out of this world and yet not. We'll go back again.

The grandkids have also transported me to magical places in my own house. When they come to visit, I know that I'll be doing things I did not plan. I know I'll be going places I did not anticipate. Take yesterday for example.

I was  invited into an artist's world of her creative process.


I watched a horse farm manager keep things organized and heard her stories of the horses.


And later, I traveled to a wild life safari park to learn about how the animals all live side by side together.



Of all the places the grandkids and I could go, the best are the ones they show me.



©2023 April Hoeller 

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. Our grands & greats are so far away...

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Donna.
      It's true we are fortunate to have our grands living within a less than an hour commute. Honestly without them, I'm not sure I would have survived the pandemic lockdowns intact. They were in our small bubble and we saw each other in person almost every week. These days, we see them every other week, alternating between our home and theirs, in addition to scattered Skype chats when one of the littles wants to talk to Grammy and Grampy. We are blessed.

      Delete
  2. The best thing about grandkids is that they take us back to being kids ourselves which is such a joy

    ReplyDelete