Thursday 29 June 2023

Thursday, or Thereabouts - June 29, 2023

The first week of summer 2023 is in the rearview mirror. Here's what she brought:

We went from near drought to monsoon, with 97mm (3.8 inches) dumped in torrential downpours interspersed with sunshine. Then the rain stopped and the wind shifted, bringing in the wildfire smoke from the north, and this time it really stank!  At one point yesterday afternoon the AQI in my neck of the woods reached 223 (very unhealthy), while at the same time the city of Toronto could boast the highest AQI in the world at just over 300 (hazardous). Blech!

The view outside my front door, just before the smoke got really bad.

Meanwhile, the strawberries came in right on time and they are luscious.

I don't pick the berries myself anymore - strawberries are just too low to the ground for my knees and back. So I bought two flats (12 litres/quarts) of berries for $72 and processed them into 13 x 500ml jars and 5 x 250ml jars of luscious jam. 

Batch one of 4







Of all the berries, strawberries demand the most prep work and truth be told it's a labour of love for me. I don't really like strawberry jam. I love the fresh berries but nothing made from them. No jam, no yogurt, no ice cream, not even strawberry gin (well maybe a bit of that...). But those first berries of summer are an all time favourite of the rest of the family. Just open the jar and give them a spoon! 

My favourites, raspberries, blackcurrants, and wild blueberries, are coming!









So is Canada Day.


I am humbly grateful to have my home on this piece of land in Canada. 
I am keenly aware of the debt I owe to the native keepers of this land.

I acknowledge the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, Huron-Wendat, and Haudenosaunee.
I also acknowledge the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation as my close neighbour.

I recognize the contributions that have been made by the Métis, Inuit, and other Indigenous Peoples in shaping and strengthening our communities.

I thank all the generations of people who have taken care of this land for thousands of years.

Miigwech.


I'm thrilled and so very proud to be a part of the colourful mosaic that is my home on native land. We're not perfect, not by a long shot; we're not without problems; we've got critical issues and controversies that need tending, but not right now. Let the problems and politics, failures and controversies take a back seat this coming weekend.

On July 1, 1960, John Diefenbaker, Canada's 13th Prime Minister, introduced the Canadian Bill of Rights in Parliament with these words:

"I am a Canadian!
Free to speak without fear,
Free to worship in my own way,
Free to stand for what I think right,
Free to oppose what I believe wrong,
Free to choose those who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and mankind."

Amen to that!

Tomorrow is the last day of school. Summer is here. It will be what it will be. Stay safe out there. 





©2023 April Hoeller



No comments:

Post a Comment