Monday 12 April 2021

Monday Meander - April 12, 2021

Rainy days and Mondays

When I took in the dreary, wet view outside my door this morning, that familiar song by The Carpenter's spun up on the turntable in my head. It was very soothing to my soul and I wanted to listen to the original as only Karen Carpenter could sing it. What was not so soothing was the discovery that Rainy Days and Mondays was released FIFTY (50!) years ago, April 1971. Holy Hannah, how can that be?  I had to do the math twice, on a calculator!

Mom and her girls, Easter - April 11, 1971)

Fifty years ago I was grade 12, the man and I were dating. He had taken a year off between high school and university and was working the computer floor at IBM, two-week cycle of eight-hour shifts (days, afternoons and nights). 

The way we were - 1971

Life was rich. Unless he was working the social graveyard shift (4pm to midnight), we were at my house on Friday evenings watching TV with my folks (remember the days on ONE TV in the house!) or going with them over to Gram and Gramps. I think 1971 was the year we spent god-knows how many hours soldering circuit boards with resisters, integrated circuits, and more to make into a radio/tuner. It was a kit made by Hallicrafters. It looked something like this one. I have a picture somewhere but after half an hour of searching my slide catalogue, I let the internet find this one.


The summer of 1971, my parents, younger sister and I flew to Vancouver on a 747 ("Fat Albert"). It was epic! A fabulous adventure from start to finish. And we still got to make the annual family to Breezy Point, NY afterward. What a summer!

Capilano River Park with "The Lions" mountains

My slide catalogue has 7 lined pages of entries for 1971 and it's been a fabulous trip down memory lane just to read the notes. It has also taken me over three hours to write this post as I keep returning to the catalogue and then the slide cases to view the actual photos. Turns out this rainy day and Monday has given me energy and purpose. It's time to begin the task culling and then digitizing important slides before the colours and the stories fade even more.

What a great job for this stay-at-home gal on blah days when the garden is off limits!  

 Score!

 

©2021 April Hoeller

1 comment:

  1. I need to think about what I was doing 50 years ago - this was a great post!

    ReplyDelete