Thursday 22 April 2021

Thursday, or Thereabouts - April 22, 2021

 It's Earth Day - the 2021 edition!

For some years now, the soundtrack that always plays in my head on this special day is the enchanting music of Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring." Bubbling joy, insistent hope, and awesome wonder seem to dance together. Is there any more appropriate music for Earth Day? If you have twenty-five minutes in your day, have a listen to this amazing music.

Is there any more appropriate music for Spring in southern Ontario struggling to assert itself?


Don't think so. Tentative delight, sour setbacks and heartfelt desire move forward in a steadfast march, Spring chanting, "I think I can, I think I can...aw shucks! Begin again - I think I can, I think I can."


The old Shaker hymn that is integral to Copland's tone poem reminds me:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right. 

 Joseph Brackett (1797 - 1882)

"Restore Our Earth" is the theme of Earth Day this year. There is little that seems simple about that.

We are still masked but we are also still here! In the newly released documentary, "The Year the Earth Changed," the esteemed Sir David Attenborough speaks of amazing survival in the midst of such a year of challenge:

"During this most difficult year many people have reappraised the value and beauty of the natural world and taken great comfort from it. But the lockdown also created a unique experiment. 
Creatures around us have flourished, by and large, in this last year. The stories of how wildlife responded have shown that making even small changes to what we do can make a big difference. 
If we choose, we can transform the health of the planet for all."


 If we choose...

That choice begins with me. I choose to make environmentally responsible choices at home today and every day. It's not nearly as simple as the few mouse-clicks that putting my name on petitions, re-posting and retweeting calls to action, and donating support to local and national initiatives requires, but change, real change has to begin at home. 


Those three R's - Reduce, Reuse and Recycle - that we've known for over fifty years, the banner of the first Earth Day, April 22, 1970, remain fundamental to efforts to restore the earth. Social action and national commitments are important, but I have to walk my talk here at home, as tedious and as frustrating as practicing the three R's may be at times. Then I step outside my door where there are species at risk. I endeavour to make my garden bee-friendly and I let the dandelions bloom - they are such a joyful yellow!


So much to do. So little time...

But,

Many hands make light work...



©2021 April Hoeller



1 comment: