Thursday 25 October 2018

Thursday, or Thereabouts - October 25, 2018


The Time Between...


The gardens have been put to bed, the lawnmower and weed whacker silenced.
The forest floor is a carpet of fallen leaves.


We have paid homage to giant pumpkins and shiny farm tractors at Fall Fairs.



We have celebrated and given thanks for all the blessings of life.


The air outside my house pulses with Autumn's incense as smoke rises from a lazy fire in the woodstove within, murmuring about warmth.


I love this time between - a gracious respite after the September start-ups and October gatherings, after the harvests, bottling, and canning; before the Christmas machine roars to life.


It is a time of tender reflection, a time to look behind me and around me, within me and beyond me, where I've been and where I now am.  It's a bit like a meander through a fine old bookshop...

Barter Books, Alnwick Station, Northumberland

My fingertips brush across the bindings of the stories of my life as I stroll the along the years. A few tales linger on my heart, a few bring a tear, a few tease out a giggle or three, and of course, there are a couple of mysteries to ponder.



All of the stories are important.
Life is good.





©2018 April Hoeller

1 comment: