Monday 20 July 2020

Monday Meander - July 20, 2020

Report from the blankie fort - Week 19


The beat and the heat goes on. I'm finding it hard to believe that I've been reporting from the blankie fort since March 16th! Really?! That seems like such a long time ago and at the same time just yesterday. Thinking over these past many weeks I wonder what I've actually accomplished. What do I have to show for it?  My knee-jerk response is to throw up my hands and bluster, "Nothing! Not a bloody useful thing!"

It's a good thing that I'm a lifelong scholar in the school of sober second thoughts because otherwise, I'd be lost in some dark sea of despair.


I've made of habit of taking a seat in the quiet classroom for the twenty-four hours between the sunsets of Saturday and Sunday. A kind of sabbath rest during which I abstain from all social media, email, and newsfeeds especially breaking news alerts. I'm not a slave to my sabbath observance. I do peruse the New York Times, BBC, and CBC news summaries first thing Sunday morning just to make sure the future still exists, but then I spend the day doing those things that bring me some measure of comfort, some satisfaction, and especially some joy. This takes effort! There are so many delectable morsels of interestingness, so may enticements lie just a mouse-click away...

The fruits of yesterday's sabbath time included lovely open writing time without an agenda or goal, the joy of just watching a thunderstorm without reference to weather radar, a guiltless nap, and the creation of a luscious blackcurrant sorbet.


I also thought about those positive things which I have done since the siege of CoVID-19 began.

  1. The man and I have stayed well. And that's a big deal given that as of today, nearly 15Million have fallen ill and 610,000+ have died. In Canada, 110,00+ have been ill and nearly 9,000 have died. (source). 
  2. I dragged out the sewing machine and taught myself how to make face masks.
  3. I've learned to tolerate Zoom meetings
  4. I've kept up reporting from the blankie fort each Monday, which I hope has brought readers some comfort and a smile or two.
  5. I've kept posting a 10am check-in on Facebook® which I also hope has encouraged others.
  6. I haven't gained any weight (I haven't' lost any either).
  7. I've supported my gym and trainer with weekly workouts, first via Zoom but now in-person in the gym (which now begins with a temperature check, screening questions, hand sanitizer, & contact-tracing phone #).
  8. I've stayed sane though I do have my moments of screaming frustration and abject despair.
  9. I now know that I could not live the life of a hermit as I once thought I could, completely secluded away from the world. 
  10. I am doing my bit to support the Niagara Wine industry, buying directly from the wineries.

Cheers! Sláinte! Cin cin! Prost! À votre Santé!

Many thanks for traveling with me these many weeks.

Together Apart - keep on keeping on.
Stay safe. Stay sane.




©2020 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment