Monday 6 July 2020

Monday Meander - July 6, 2020

Report from the blankie fort - Week 17


Are we there yet? Nope. But we've been told it's somewhat safer to venture out of the fort and beyond the property line. Some restrictions have been eased. I was able to see my massage therapist last week. It was a very happy reunion and unlike my usual visits, I chatted away the whole hour. I guess I was a little desperate for real conversation with a real person really in the same room as I! And, we hadn't seen each other since mid-March.











In preparation for more forays more often into the world outside my door, I spent Saturday afternoon making more face masks. The man and I now have nine reusable, washable cloth masks made from scraps of old cotton shirts, a few tea towels and receiving blankets, sufficient for a while at least.


And it will be a while, probably a very long while before I will be found in any indoor space without a mask. I'm thinking perhaps the St. Nicholas Day (December 6) parcel of goodies will include festive masks along with the usual Christmas socks and candy canes.







Even with an ample mask and hand-sanitizer supply, it still doesn't feel comfortable to be out and about, at least not to me. I still tense up. I still meticulously plan my outings then rush through my shopping. No time for browsing. No room for spur-of-the-moment adventures. And I feel like calling out "Home free" when I set foot back in the house. Back inside, I go to the wall calendar by my desk the one that used to only denote the supper menu plan, to write down where I've been. The calendar also now records any visitors to the house.

A restaurant in the city that the man and I quite like sent along a promo for Sunday brunch on their newly opened patio. My mouth watered at the prospect and the man noted that we even have a gift certificate for the place. Score! But then the school of COVID-19 second thoughts shoved my eager anticipation out the door. I'm not ready to have dinner out even if it is at an outdoor patio with tables 2m apart. It requires me to trust that too many people are as diligent as I am with virus protection. I'm not there yet. Take-out will have to do me for the time being.

Meanwhile, back on the homestead heat and drought have made the grass brown and crispy...


...but my-oh-my aren't these blooms are coming along nicely?


And that's the way it is for Week 17.
Together Apart
stay safe, be well.





©2020 April Hoeller







No comments:

Post a Comment