Monday 27 July 2020

Monday Meander - July 27, 2020

Report from the blankie fort - Week 20

So it's the last Monday of July. Really? Already?? Or ONLY??? No matter, it's here and so are we.


The most effective antidote I have to a case of pandemic insanity is working in the yard and garden but the heat of these last weeks has kept me grounded in the house. I became highly reactive. All the negative emotions rumbling just beneath the surface, waited for even the smallest opening to burst forth. There were tears, there was shouting, there was anxiety+++.  By Saturday all that bad energy drove me out despite the heat to work in the garden. Intense weeding, perhaps even somewhat aggressive, ensued accompanied by a few hot expletives. I got the job done and I then mowed the side yard for the first time in nearly six weeks. I was chuffed, but now the garden and I both needed a good drenching.

While watering the garden, the hose pressure dropped to nil. I figured the hose was kinked and gave it few quick shakes. No effect. As I rounded the corner of the house, I heard a great hissing and saw water pouring out of the garage. Inside a mighty geyser sprung from the hose connection, straight up to the ceiling. I got my good drenching as I made my way to the shutoff valve. The garage got a clean out. And I got rid of all that negative energy! Magic!


You may have noticed that the bears in the window have been joined by glass canning jar. I have put the bears in charge of guarding the cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) as it mellows over the next months. Maybe by Thanksgiving, more likely by Christmas there will be something luscious to warm body and soul.


There is also the promise of good things coming from my garden...
The tomato plants are climbing the wall while underneath the branches, lovely round fruit is ripening.



The only place where going pear-shaped is a good thing!


The lilies are coming!


And that's the way it is as Week 20 of CoVID-19 clicks into place.

Good things are on their way.
Stay safe. Stay sane.



©2020 April Hoeller


2 comments:

  1. Dear April.
    It always pleases me to savour your plant pictures as they grow with the promise of 'good things on the way' --just as our garden gets ready to sleep through the harsh Doha summer.
    Glad to see the results of your cleansing and cleaning. Hope that water connection situation is under control.
    Sending you hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Arti,
      It is delight to my day to read from you. These pandemic times have put such a strain on daily life here that just doing something normal like gardening, mowing the lawn or even dealing with a flooded garage brings a certain satisfaction and yes even joy. Seeing good things emerging from mother Earth is heartening too.
      The water connection in the garage has been fixed and things there have mostly dried out. As frustrating as pandemic restrictions are, and as fearful I am of catching the virus, my complaints and inconveniences remain very much first world problems. I frequently have to remind myself of that fact. We are safe. We are free. We are well.
      Take care. Hugs back to you. xx

      Delete