Monday 27 April 2020

Monday Meander - April 27, 2020

Report from the blankie fort - Week 7

Week 7? SEVEN?? WEEKS??? And we're all still here. I'm still stuck at home looking out at a bunch of bear bums.


"Stuck" is not a helpful or even healthy attitude. We're told to rephrase it as "safe at home" and as true as that is, at seven weeks on, isolation is wearing a little thin at times for all of us. It hasn't helped that too many of the days of these past weeks have been accompanied by gloomy uninspiring weather that reinforced "stuck" more than "safe" at home.


But then this past weekend, Saturday brought stunning sunshine and t-shirt temperatures to my door. I spent hours doing yard work, clearing away the debris field winter had left behind. I raked and the tipped fourteen wheelbarrows-full of dead leaves, grass, and twigs into the compost heap. Neighbours were outside doing the same for their yards. We waved and chatted with each other almost yelling in order to be heard over the great distance that is between us in these rural routes. Many folks were out just enjoying a walk along our street and whether we knew each other by name or not, we took the time to check in with one another, chatting across one side of the road to the other, learning we were all okay and making the best of the times. I was truly touched to be asked if there was anything that I needed. I'm constantly having to remind myself that at 67 years old, I'm in the vulnerable group for CoVID-19. Just don't call me "elderly!"


The best part of all that work and 'visiting' (with the exception of the topics of conversation) was how blessedly NORMAL it all felt. All the fear, frustration, and angst that had built up over the weeks of staying safe at home, all that dis-ease melted away. Oh, I have no doubt that it will all rise up again as the siege of this pandemic continues, but now I have a remedy, a tonic on the shelf of my medicine cabinet - when the weather permits, find something normal to do outside in the yard and just do it!

Today the sun is again shining. There are good things "growing on" outside my door. I'm outta here...





Take Care.
Be well.
Be safe at Home.




©2020 April Hoeller


No comments:

Post a Comment