Thursday 30 April 2020

Thursday, or Thereabouts - April 30, 2020

A Season of Grief


A series of deadly crises has marked the first four months of 2020 in my homeland. From the January downing of Ukrainian Airlines Flight 752 with the loss of fifty-five Canadians and thirty permanent residents of this country, to the toll  CoVID-19 has exacted in care homes and indeed on all of our lives, to the worst mass shooting in our history which ended the lives of twenty-three people including an RCMP constable. And now this morning the news of the crash of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) helicopter in the Mediterranean Sea with six crew aboard, one of whom has been confirmed dead, one who piped Amazing Grace only days ago from the deck of HMCS Fredericton in tribute to the victims of the mass shooting.

image courtesy of @CDS_Canada_CEMD

This last loss resonates deeply with me. I don't personally know any of the CAF members serving on HMCS Fredericton, but I am a soldier's mother and therefore I am a part of the armed forces family.

Today I am reminded of the several times some ten years ago while my son was serving in Afghanistan when I stood on the Victoria Park bridge over HWY 401 clutching my flag and my heart, welcoming other mother’s children back home. The scene was always the same – a long black cortege winding its way along the Highway of Heroes, lights flashing, flags waving, tears flowing.

I remember thinking then as do now today, "Please dear God, don’t ever let it be me in that dark stretch limo following a flag-draped casket in a funeral coach. Please..."

My heart aches for the friends and families of the helicopter crew, for the men and women on the HMCS Fredericton, and for all in the big family that is the Canadian Armed Forces.


Tomorrow my son steps up again to fulltime service, this time at home as the men and women in uniform take their part in the pandemic response. Although I don't know what that service will look like for him, I do know that he along with his sisters and brothers in arms will not hesitate to do the job that is needed, to step in front of danger so that we can be safe.

Thank you for your service.
We will remember.






©2020 April Hoeller



2 comments:

  1. Dear April.
    Your grief and the beatings of a mother's heart reach me as I read your words.
    All I can do is send you hugs and to let you know that I'll be thinking of you and holding you in my prayers.
    Prayers for the families of those brave souls who put their duty before personal safety for the sake of others.
    Love
    Arti xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arti,
      Many thanks for your hugs and prayers. As I sit here today safe inside my house tucked up in front of a computer screen buying groceries online from a local farm, doing my best to support the economy, I know how blessed I am. I too shall be upholding my son and all the people who are stepping up to serve.
      Blessings to you and yours.
      Love,
      April xx

      Delete